The temperament crusade continues

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 08:56:18 EST

Sorry, I pushed the wrong button and sent my post before I was finished.

In a message dated 12/13/99 5:29:31 AM Pacific Standard Time, A440A@AOL.COM
writes:

<< Now that you mention it,  I don't think George Gershwin ever said a thing
 about temperament,  so is it reasonable to think he may have actually had a
 well tempered  tuning on his composing piano?  I don't think so, his music
 seems to be best served by a temperament that we know was in use when he
 worked.  What about Rachmaninoff?  >>

I have heard people say that both Gershwin and Rachmaninoff must have used
ET.  I have also heard that just about everybody since Bach must have too.
There is plenty of evidence to show that near ET but not quite ET Victorian
style temperaments and even some milder Meantones persisted during the times
these composers were working.  Both their music and the ones mentioned later
in Ed's post, Cole Porter and Eubie Blake and really any music I have ever
heard that was anything that had some kind of melody to it, was very tonal,
even if it did have extended chords and chromatic modulating.

Some stronger WT's and MT's may produce some questionably objectionable
roughness, but a good choice of a Victorian expresses all of this music very
well.  It adds a dimension that ET lacks without introducing unnecessary
harshness and rough modulations.  All you have to do is produce a really good
tuning to hear it for yourself.  Mozart doesn't sound much better in a
Victorian than he does in ET, however.  The Bach WT Clavier music can sound
good though because it does explore all of the keys.  Later Beethoven and
Brahms are well served by Victorian although they are not specific for it.

Just my opinion.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin