Perfect Pitch

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 08:39:47 -0500

At 08:43 PM 12/14/1999 +1300, you wrote:
>Hello Brian and Mark,
>
>I went to high school with a guy who was able to correctly identify notes as
>you describe Mark, he later went on to become a piano tuner, very good one I
>might add, can set an A *very* close and checks himself against a fork every
>now and then, but he has real difficulty tuning pianos to other pitches.

Here's an interesting point.  Way back when standard pitch was 435 and lower,
I am certain there were people claiming "perfect pitch". Well if it was
perfect
then,
is it perfect+, now?

Since these folks are not attuned to the 'cosmic pitch' standard then they
must
only be relating to the "pitch du jour".

>I was always fascinated by this as I too tune pianos but don't as me to
>identify a note, my pitch memory isn't good but neither does it need to be.
>To me pitch memory is of no real advantage, but to a musician as you suggest
>Mark, it is is a useful gift.

I am pitch insensitive. I couldn't hit a note with the broadside of a barn but
I do
a pretty good job of frequency comparison when it comes to setting a string in
a piano.

>Brian, perhaps the people you speak of who claim to have perfect pitch are
>simply able to hear a note out "in relation to another note" ie an octave.
>Most musicians can here this to various degrees and piano tuners to an
>exacting degree, hopefully.

The only perfect pitch is the one which makes each and every customer by the
item
or one which involves a 'swing and a miss'.

Regards,

Jon Page

>Cheers
>Graeme Harvey