Perfect Pitch

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 14:56:16 -0700 (MST)

Hi Newton:

I have just one thing to add since we were on this subject about a year
ago.

I have had it confirmed to my satisfaction that some musicians can hear
tone color even in Equal Temperament. This came as quite a surprise to
me. One of the respondents has perfect pitch and I kinda' suspected it,
but another who does not have perfect pitch also can hear tonality
color in Equal Temperament.

My sister had a strange kind of perfect pitch. She could not tell
immediately what a certain note is, but by (in her mind) singing through
all the scales, she could then note which ones had sharps or flats and
then could positively identify the note being sounded. this coupled
with my other research convinces me that tone color is there for those
who have ears to hear. PS, I don't hear it.

Jim Coleman, Sr.