Perfect Pitch...Matthew... Bill B.

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 21:50:09 -0500

Hi Bill,  and all else who have tuned in,

I may not have been very clear in my earlier post to Matthew.  My apologies.
Sometimes it's hard to include the context of my thoughts so that others
will know from whence these random thoughts come.

<snip>...I don't mean at all to be disrespectful and I know that Brian has
expressed his preference for and dislike of HT's...

In all honesty, the above was never a thought in my post, especially with
the topic of "perfect pitch" or "relative pitch" or whatever term best fits.
In case it is of any interest, I do prefer to play on a piano tuned in ET,
but have decided not to be so outspoken that I won't entertain the
desirability of other temperaments (HTs as well as other non-ETs).  A number
of well spoken persons who contribute to the list on occasion have caused me
to have a more open mind in such regards.  (They've not changed my mind as
of today, but I'm a little more open to the ideas and concepts today than in
times past.)

My original thoughts were more in line with modern organs and synthesizers
where one can use the 'transpose' function to play that thing in pretty much
any key you want to and hear it in just about any key you want to without
regard to what key you can physically play in.   Having a minimal level of
pitch recognition prohibits me from being able to utilize such functions.
That's one of the disadvantages of pitch recognition for those of us who
rely heavily upon the 'ear' when playing (as in "playing by ear").  So if I
want to hear it in the key of "B", I have to learn to play it in "B".  If I
want "F#", I have to play in "F#".  That's all.  Others may be more able to
use such 'transpose' functions and similar devices.

<snip> ...but if it is *really* ET, how could F# be any different from F,
except for the pitch? ...

This is an interesting point, but I can't personally agree with the
conclusion.  It is different BECAUSE it is a different pitch.  It's a bit
like me saying that Blue is no different than Red except for the color.  I t
end to think that pitch as a single factor plays a major role in the 'color'
of any particular key.  The differences added by other than ET tunings may
add or detract from a particular pitch selected.  No argument on that.
Perhaps planned aberrations may sound attractive to some.  But different
keys sound different to me irrespective of temperament.  ...Here we go again
with the unquantifiable...

(Comments not intended in a hostile tone.  Just a random thought or two.)

Wishing all a pleasant evening, and thankful for the contributors of fine
conversation,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net