Temperament Setting Question

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 13:22:04 EST

Greetings,
    I'd like to comment on the use of ratios here.  A third which has a 5:4
ratio is a Just third and doesn't beat at all.  In contrast to this,  a
"Pythagorean" third is what you end up with if you tune Just fifths,
(C-G-D-A-E), its ratio is 81:64.  Our  ET third is appoximately halfway
between these two.
    The reason I point this out is that there are temperaments that use a
variety of sizes of thirds, i.e. the Kirnberger III tuning  DOES have a 5:4
third for the C-E.  This purity in the key of C is a hallmark of his tuning.
REgards,
Ed Foote