Perfect Whistlers

Tom Robinson tomnjan@bellsouth.net
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 13:32:21 -0500

Bob, your uncle Tom may very well be the only one in the world now.  My
late father was a virtuoso whistler who could simultaneously sound two
notes in harmony, both in a warble and steady tones.  I have seen an
audience spellbound by his renditions of some of the old western tunes
like, "Cool Clear Water".   Sadly, by the time I began to record his
instrumental music he had given up whistling and could not be coaxed
into performing.  And though, my father never learned to read music, he
could recognize and name notes without reference.  He often talked about
how in the "old days" some of the best (string) musicians would tune
their instruments to sound "sweeter" in certain keys (HT?).

As to "perfect pitch", I have examined several hundred of the pine trees
on my property and I must report I have found none.  But seriously, my
late mother was a classically trained singer and accomplished
mandolinist.  Even though she was known to have the ability to hear a
song one time and play and/or sing it flawlessly, she could not tune her
mandolin well.

Tom Robinson
East Tennessee - land of metaphor and euphemism