Temperament Setting Question

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 18:47:39 EST

piano_tunertx@yahoo.com writes:

<< I understand and appreciate the extent to which
 setting the contiguous thirds F-A, A-C#, C#-F & F-A in
 a 4:5 ration sets the foundation of a good temperament
 (of the ET variety). Most of the bearing plans I've
 seen start with something like "set F3 to A3 to beat
 about 7bps, set C#4 to A3 to beat about 9bps, tune F4,
 test that the contiguous 3rds have a 4:5 ratio..."

 My question is this, having tuned the F's and the C#
 and noting that the ratios aren't working out quite
 right, how do I determine if the problem is the F's or
 the C#?

 Many thanks for your help.

 Jerry Hunt
 Associate Member PTG (shooting for RPT in 2000)
 Dallas, TX >>

Jerry:

Ratios have always confused me. I rarely know what they are talking about
when I hear tuners talk about 1:2 and 4:3 and 7:8 ratios.

This is my way of telling you that if C# - F isn't quite right, move the C#
and see if it sounds better. If it does, check it with the A. If that
interval sounds good, then the problem was the C#. If not then the problem
was the F, and you need to adjust the C# again.

Setting a temperament is more a matter of adjusting all four notes, (F, A C#
and F), so that the contiguous thirds get faster, and the octave is in tune.
If it isn't, then work until it is.  Trying to figure out what ratio you're
listening to will only make things more confusing.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Willem