Key color/pitch-new question

Ken Jankura kenrpt@mail.cvn.net
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 22:43:39 -0500

List,
  In all the discussion of key color or pitch, historical or equal
temperament, I have been wondering about a basic idea. If HTs influenced in
what key and how particular pieces were written (which I believe they did),
does anyone have thoughts to share about why composers picked particular
keys for pieces when there was no fixed pitch instrument, that is, all
instruments can (and would) strive for just intonation. A corollary is to
this is how do horn players react to HTs when the more excited key
signatures are played? Strive to be unjust? Sounds like a criminal activity
:-)
Ken Jankura
Newburg, PA