Knabe grand

Dad's tunenbww@clear.lakes.com
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 10:41:09 -0600

Rob
According to my client, the piano has never been restrung or any other =
"major" work done,and other tunres have been breaking strings. She =
assumes this is just part of the job of tuning.
Paul Chick
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Robert Goodale=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 1999 9:47 AM
  Subject: Re: Knabe grand

  Dad's wrote:=20
    ListI tuned a Knabe Grand and broke a bicord string. This piano =
shows a history of string breakage at random across the scale(to date 6 =
places).The first tuning I did 6 months ago I broke a string just above =
the break. The piano has a very steep rise from the agraffs. Its at =
A440. I can't see any reason for the problem. Is this typical of Knabe =
grands of this vintage, or is it just this one. I have tuned 2 or 3 over =
the years, and one for a different client once a year for several years. =
Any clue?

  With this age is there a change that the piano has been restrung in =
the past?  If so it is possible that the technician that did the work =
might have changed the scaling to something with higher string tension.  =
This could explain a lot.=20

  Rob Goodale, RPT=20
  Las Vegas, NV=20