bandsaw recommendation

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 23:13:21 -0600

At 08:43 PM 12/21/1999 -0200, you wrote:
>Ron,
>
>My local lumberyard has an old meatsaw, next to all of their other, expensive
>large machinery. I've yet to ask them about it but after two motors and
>half-assed bearing refurb. on my Taiwanese 'Central Machinery' 14"er this
seems
>like a cool option.
>
>Clark

Clark,
I got mine for the hauling, so the initial price was right. It's a
massively built thing, and weighs as much as a Volkswagen, so it was kind
of interesting getting it in and out of my truck. The switch/fuse box and
motor were a mass of rust and pork fat when I picked it up, but after a
quick disassembly and junkectomy, and a turn through the car wash, it
scrubbed up pretty well. The huge 1 1/2hp motor that I replaced with a 3hp
on my planer just fit in the stand housing, and I mounted one of those old
heavy duty rotary light switches on the side for a power switch.
CLACK-on-CLACK-off. A slab of MDF with countertop laminate serves as a
fixed table. It currently has the original blade guides, which are pretty
sad, each being a piece of steel with a slot sawed in it for the blade, and
there are no tires on the wheels (I'm not sure there ever were), so it's
noisy, but the bearings are good and it's solid as a rock. I don't think
it's all that far from being a decent resaw if I can get the time to make
the necessary parts. Another adventure off the path. I like this kind of
thing though.

I'll still need the smaller saw with the tilting table for day to day work,
so it's bearings and guides for the Sears too.

Ron N