Appraisal help

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 22:45:47 -0600

List,

I was called to evaluate a Mason & Hamlin grand.  Not knowing much about the
finer points of appraising, I need some further assistance.

The piano is a 5' 8" with lovely ivories, except for a few minor reparable
cracks.  The serial number is 29511, which dates it before the Aeolian
takeover.  ( I assume this is good.)  "726" was the only other number I saw.
It was underneath the keybed along with the serial #.  There were
individually tied strings interspersed with looped strings throughout the
tenor section.  The core wire of the large wrapped strings was the thickest
I've seen.  The bridge was wider than any other bridge I've seen on a grand.

The pinblock has been doped, the case need refinishing, the action needs
rebuilding, and the strings need replacing.  In short, looks like a complete
restoration would be necessary, with possibility of a new soundboard.

What signs would there be that this is indeed a pre-Aeolian piano?  There
was no serial # on the plate, but apparently someone had sprayed some gold
paint on there at one time, which would have covered it up.  The lettering
which should have been black was gold, and there was overspray on the treble
bridge and on the strings at the hitch pins.  The serial # on the keyslip
matched the one on the keybed, but there was also a number 29520 which had
been covered over by a pencil.   ???

I told the man I'd find out more and get in touch with him about the value.
How would one determine the value and desirability of this piano?

Thanks,

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS