Duplex Scale Tuning

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 09:31:36 +0100

Er... Ed.. I think the point is that one doesnot need a duplex to get a good
sound. But to take your point seriously

Number 1, reverse your suggestion. Take a piano without a duplex (front) and slap
on on there. You will notice a lot of difference there as well.

number 2 In either case if the rebuilder thinks through the process of conversion
well enough, he / she has a pretty good chance of succeding in getting a very
good sound from the instrument. Better or not is really an absurd question
(within certain parameters of reasonability) as sound quality is largely a matter
of taste.

Take the Bechstien piano for example. Fine full strong sound with no duplex in
the front at all. Now personally I like the effect of a well functioning duplex.
But make no mistake about it. In order for it to do what it does, it takes energy
from the singing length of the string, and if it is functioning badly... it it
usually takeing too much energy.

I suppose that in our day.. the duplex on most pianos is indeed as much of a
marketing plan as it is anything else.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway