bench finish damaged

Wed, 22 Dec 1999 08:46:19 -0500

David -

To rule out the markings being in a waxy buildup, (which seems unlikely
in such a new piano), the first step should be to thoroughly clean the
surface with naphtha or mineral spirits.  This will definitely leave you
with a surface free of wax, oil, etc...  With any luck, your cloudiness
will also be gone.

If not, the problem is moisture trapped in the finish.  The two ways I
know of to remedy this are:

1. As Jon suggested, use alcohol.  You should use a lint free cloth
dampened with the alcohol and swing your arm like a pendulum, making
contact with the bench top at the bottom of the swing.  Do not stop your
swing.  The alcohol should draw out moisture.  Sheen can be matched back
up with 0000 wool and some wool lube (or any other lubricant  - Murphy's
will work)  I have also had luck removing moisture from finishes with
just mineral oil and fine wool.  I have even heard of slathering on some
crisco, leaving it on for a few hours, and then wiping it off, the
moisture gone.  Haven't tried THAT one, though...

2. As your source recommended, you can 'rub out' the cloudiness, in all
likelihood.  Rubbing compounds come in a variety of grits of
aggressiveness, and it is always best to start with the least aggressive
and only go coarser if necessary.  Automotive stores carry pretty
complete lines of rubbing compounds.  Meguiar's is one name, but there
certainly are others.  I have even used toothpaste on numerous occasions
"on the job" with good success.  It's not very aggressive, but it sure is
handy!  You will notice on the containers an indication of how coarse or
fine the compound is.  "Rubbing" compounds are coarser than "polishing"
compounds.  If this works, then after the cloudiness is gone, match sheen
with 0000 wool and wool lube.

Repairing this problem is one thing, but I can't help but wonder if the
finish will need to be redone as a permanent remedy.  After all, didn't
you say this was only 6 months old?  There's not a good reason I can
think of to expect this won't happen again with this finish, unless you
ascertain that indeed it was just a waxy film on the surface causing the
problem.  You could just wet sand with 400 paper to a uniform flatness
and scratch pattern, clean with naphtha, and top coat with something more
durable - like a moisture resistant lacquer, or a polyurethane.   Two
coats should do it.  You could do the whole thing in about an hour in
your shop.  Even easier, of course, is to put a bench pad on the thing
and forget it!

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com