Perfect Pitch Revisited... LONG

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 07:44:02 -0800

Steven Lewis wrote:

> I thought you might all find this interesting.  I saved this from another newslist
> several years ago, (I think, Pipe Organs).  I didn't save the author's name,
> forgive me for not being able to attribute it to the rightful author.
> She has a lot of interesting things to say about perfect pitch.  It's well worth
> the long read.
> Steven Lewis
> Ft Worth, TX

Steven,

Please excuse the skepticism, but your attachment only seems to add to
the mythology surrounding "perfect" or "absolute" pitch without
furthering our knowledge of it.  It fails to address the point that no
one is able to tune each note of a piano without reference to the other
notes, that except for A440 the pitches are different from one piano to
another, that different temperaments result in different pitches, that a
capella and string ensembles change the pitch of a given note as they
change keys within a given piece, etc.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA