1880's Weber 6'4" SB repl., rescaling

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 19:26:54 EST

Hi, List (Del and Ron there?):

A few months ago I purchased this very pretty 1880's 6'4" Weber to rebuild.
I have just estimated a client's identical piano.  Two Webers.  Great
cabinets, but famous Weber hollow-log sound (yuk).

Both have inadequate to zero positive bearing, flat boards, and I am
considering board replacement in both (client may pay for theirs) -- here's a
chance to try to get semi-efficient.  These boards have conventional grain
orientation (abt. 45 degrees to side), but the ribs run roughly parallel to
the side - front to back!  That makes for some long ribs!  Should I duplicate
this, go to a conventional approach (ribs 90 degrees to grain, 45 degrees to
side), or?

Of course, the tenor plain wire trichords are VERY tubby, and I intend to
rescale.  Ron, I am about to plug the numbers in "RESCALE", the software
scaling program you sent me, but am interested in if anyone has experience
rescaling this particular piano (apparently Weber made quite a few).

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University