Tuesday evening's tuning

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 19:32:53 EST

pianoserv440@juno.com writes:

<< As "luck" would have it, I had to tune a customer's piano at 7:00pm last
 night.  Pre 1900 Beckwith ( made/sold by Sears ).  Typical of the last
 piano of a day for a very tired tuner - 4 hammers missing, cracked high
 treble bridge, and 96c low of A-440.  ( Yeah, I know that standard pitch
 was 435 when that piano was built. )  The lady told me it belonged to her
 grandparents whom, she remembers, talked about tuning it - several times,
 but does not remember it ever being done.  Went over it once to bring it
 to 50c low, then with her OK went the rest the way to A-440 with no
 string breakage.  All that except for the last octave where the bridge is
 split.  Oh, and yes, I will be working on it again next week - in the
 evening again. :-(
 John Fortiner
 Billings, MT.

I guess if you like that sort of thing, it's OK. I am getting to the point in
my career where I no longer make appointments after 5 PM, unless it is a real
emergency of one of my regular customers. I have also gotten to the point
where I don't "do" old uprights any more, if I can avoid them. As far as
raising pitch. That is a definite NO NO on my part. I tune them where they're
at. Less chance of anything breaking.

Willem