Trouble setting string

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 11:56:21 -0500

At 09:57 AM 12/24/99 -0500, you wrote:

>In a message dated 12/23/1999 10:17:06 AM, Jon wrote:
>
><<As with tuning any piano, your last motion with the hammer should be 'up'>>
>
>Jon;
>Interesting observation. Care to elucidate? :-)
>Jim Bryant (FL)

As I said before I think the class was given by George Defabaugh
in which he demonstrated that the tuning is more stable if the
pin to counter-bearing string segment is left with a higher tension
by coming up rather than lowering tension to desired tension.

The friction on the c/b & v-bar will not allow the tension to slip as easily
with a higher tension in this area. A lower tension on this side of the
speaking
length is not as stable. One aspect of the friction's effect is to slightly
lower
the tension first before pulling up so as to reduce the occurrence of breaking
a string by the added tension on this side of the bearing points before the
string moves over the bars, agraffes and c/b felt.

This is not to say, do not over-shoot but don't come down to the pitch and
leave
it there. There is a series of turning of the pin to raise and lower the
tension. Each time
the change is less and less until you are just dealing with the torque in the
pin.
I always end this series of pin setting with a nudge to bring the tension up.
You know,
the small, finesse, hammer wobbling to set the pin. With the last motion on up
tension
the string becomes set better as well.

With some pianos there is no finesse, Aeolian Chickerings for one, with the
steep angle
causing friction overload. These I would just pull up and leave them
because if
you try to
lower the tension, by the time the tension drops enough for the friction to
slip,
the tension is well below pitch.

That's how I've been doing it ever since that class way back then and it has
not failed.

Your results may vary,

Off to do shopping, no need to wait til the_last_minute.

HH, MC,

Jon Page
piano technician; Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net