Kimball butt springs

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 08:16:44 -0500

Todd,

The piano was manufactured in 1979.  Some of these pianos have a strip of
felt right against the coils of the springs.  This felt had a corrosive
substance in it which caused the springs to fail.  The fix is to remove the
hammer spring rail, remove the felt, then install all new springs.  The
springs that appear okay now are likely to fail in the future, so you may as
well do all of them.

Others tell me this is not hard to do, and I believe them.  Nevertheless,
rather than do it myself I sent the rail off to have it done.  So you will
have to look to someone else to answer question 2.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger