Stripper

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 09:43:26 -0500

> The best stripper on the market is Woodfinisher's Pride.  It's similar to
the
> citrus stuff, but works more thoroughly.  Repeated coats on the thickest
> varnish turns it to easily wiped off goo.  It's virtually non-toxic.

On the other hand, the absolute worst stripper in the world is Peel Away.
Do not under any circumstances use this product.  I tried this stuff once
because I'm always looking for better and faster ways to do things.  Don't
you make the same mistake.  Peel Away is caustic, take three time longer to
apply, does not strip away paint as advertised, dampens the wood causing
swelling, cracking and warping, removes large chunks of wood when it is
removed, dries like concrete in some spots and can only be removed by heavy
sanding.  I have wasted over 10 hours just stripping and repairing one
piano leg with this stuff.  IT STINKS, and if there were any way I could
sue the manufacturer, I would.  The permanent damage it did to my test
piece (a vintage Steinway leg) is enough to make me want to cry.  Peel Away
- DO NOT USE IT.

Frank Weston