Steinway S

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 16:49:55 EST

<< I was tuning a 1920 Steinway S reproducing piano yesterday and had quite
 a difficult time setting the pins/strings. The tuning sounded fine when
 I finished but it took me quite a lot more time than I would usually
 take for a tuning.
 Any words of advice for someone who hasn't had a lot of experience with
 these pianos? Is it because there are no pin bushings?
 I would also be interested in any thougts on the value of this
 instrument. Everything seems to be in excellent condition,including the
 player mechanism.

 Thanks in advance,

 Dale Davidson
 Ottawa, Ont.

Dale, you don't say whether the pins are loose, tight, jumpy, mushy or
inconsistent from one to another;  or whether the strings render poorly or
easily.  These problems frequently contribute to difficulty in tuning, and are
worse in areas of climate extremes (much of the US).  A 1920 piano in Ottawa
would, I assume, be prone to strings rusting at bearing points as well as
pinblock deterioration.  If the piano was restrung and repinned, there could
be unevenness of torque because of lack of reaming of the tuning pin hole;
sometimes twisting of the pin is unavoidable.   Loose pins, combined with
poorly rendering strings, make for a very difficult tuning.  Also, did the
piano respond to a pitch raise predictably?  If not there may be structural
problems, or at least the plate screws may be loose (more common now with a
dry winter following the El Nino).

Although Steinways do not have plate bushings, they often tune with
considerable ease (the S has a more difficult scale, of course).  Problems
arise with flagpoling of the pin when we hold the tuning lever at a less than
ideal angle to the string.  On a grand, ideal for a right handed tuner will be
as close to 12 or 6 o'clock as possible;  practically that would be 1 or 1:30.
With a Duo-Art that is more difficult, due to the increased reach to the pin
because of the spool box location.  Its a choice between saving your back or
the tuning.

Back in the early '80s the market for the reproducing Steinway was considered
to include all of North America.  If that is still the case, the customer
searching for a reproducing piano will often search nationally,  often through
AMICA , one of the piano buying/selling services, or on the 'net.   Only
someone who rebuilds or sells this type of piano - who is currently involved
in the market - is knowledgable about the estimation of value - and that is
still qualified by what kind of valuation is sought (as discussed recently on
this list).

Good Luck!

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University
25826 Davis Way
Loma Linda, CA  92354
(909)  796-4226