Steinway S

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:10:11 EST

In a message dated 2/4/99 10:24:22 AM Pacific Standard Time, jennfee@ibm.net
writes:

> I was tuning a 1920 Steinway S reproducing piano yesterday and had quite
>  a difficult time setting the pins/strings.....  Is it because there are no
pin bushings?

Dale,
No. More likely corrosion on the strings, causing drag across points of
contact. If it seems worse in the tenor section, where the strings cross the
counterbearing cloth, that's a dead giveaway. I find this make very easy to
tune, if the strings are relatively clean.

For me, the tuning technique that works best involves moving the pin gently in
both directions to find where the pitch "wants" to be, and then applying
whatever pressures are necessary to keep the pitch from moving before I sense
the pin move (this is faster than it sounds). This has the added advantage of
letting me know how much drag there is on the strings.

You might try a little lubricant, like Protek or Prolube, brushed lightly on
the friction points, with the caveat that any lubricant at terminations may
leave a residue which will eventually cause an unclean termination, and
quicker replacement of the strings.

Try to alter your technique first.
Bob Davis
Stockton, CA