Steinway "S"?

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 00:49:46 EST

<< The piano in question is an upright, not a grand. >>

Dale, your original post on tuning instability is "right on" for the Steinway
vertical - difficult to tune, but it sounds really nice when you're done
(about half-again to twice as long as normal).  I assume part of the problem
is the long waste-length and friction through the v-bar and duplex. I don't
attribute it to flag-poling pins.  But I cannot explain why the Steinway
vertical is not predictable in pitch compensating, requiring several passes in
the mid/high treble, and sometimes ending up sharper than you left it after
the first pitch raise.  On a Wurlitzer studio (so many have the same problem -
the only comparison to the Steinway) I have always assumed poor assembly
(which may not be the reason) - probably not the problem with the Steinway.
Anyone with a cure or a predictable pitch raise method for the Steinway
vertical?

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University
25826 Davis Way
Loma Linda, CA  92354
(909)  796-4226