War Stories

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Fri, 05 Feb 1999 21:27:01 -0400

I think war stories like John's should be encouraged because ultimately
they are the basis for all technical discussion.  Details give us the
context. Then let the thread go where it will.

TODAY'S WAR STORY . . . . .

Today I did a first-time call on a Hobart M. Cable 51" vertical. Open
pin panel.  Recently inherited. . . . maybe along with a few dollars.
(I live in the mid-atlantic region of the east coast, which tends to be
pretty hard on pianos).

The 60-90 day estimate for the contracted work took 6 months.  (The
technician had some medical problems.)  Work included: refinish closed
pore, hammers, dampers, keytops, key bushings, bridle straps, restring
most of the top octave, twist bass strings, epoxy bass bridge, regulate
action, polish hardware, etc., etc..

Customer was not happy with 'craftsmanship'; didn't want to ask the
technician to come out and correct 'problems'.

I reglued three jacks (two out of position, one provoked by me), tuned
the top octave which was waaaay out, installed a felt block under a
pedal.  General inspection.  Owner is now happy (or resigned?) as there
are no longer any outstanding problems witht he piano.

I have ideas about pianos like this, some of which I've voiced before,
but I'd rather throw it open for discussion instead of presenting what I
think is right/wrong about this scenario.

Carl Root, RPT