Affordable Vaccuum

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 08:31:28 -0600 (CST)

Hi Richard,

It's been too long since I bought a good one for me to have any
recommendations, but I can suggest a thing or two to consider while you're
shopping.

Shop-Vac has, in my opinion, gone off the deep end in allowing product
design engineers who have never actually used a vacuum in a working shop, to
design their current line. Although they have finally decided to install
power cords of more than eight inches in length (so when the customer
electrocuted themselves, it would have to be with their OWN extension cord,
rather than Shop-Vac's) they still haven't figured out how hose attachments
work. In the new models, at least those that I have seen, the hose
connection terminates in a slotted plate that slides into a notch in the
side of the cannister. You can't unplug the hose, you have to take the top
off the unit to get it loose. This utterly eliminates the quick hose-clog
clearing technique of swapping hose ends and sucking the clog out from the
other side. There is also no provision for attaching the hose to the
exhaust, for use as a blower. As far as I'm concerned, these things alone
make the units utterly useless as shop vacuums. On the positive side, they
are much quieter than they used to be, and are pretty efficient/cheap for
the "occasional light dust" crowd. With the new/improved/longer cord, you
can even actually plug the little suckers in and use them in a customer's home.

FWIW,
 Ron