Netscape Mail Filters

Rodney Pritchett rodneycp@bellsouth.net
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 09:29:53 -0800

Lance Lafargue wrote:

> Please refresh my memory.  Is there a way to have your browser/computer
> immediately trash e-mails from a particular sender?  Or does the fact that
> these are coming from the listserv eliminate that ability?  Thanks.
> LANCE LAFARGUE, RPT
> LAFARGUE PIANO SERVICES
> New Orleans Chapter
> Mandeville, LA.
> _______________________________

I meant to reply earlier, but . . .

My ISP, Bellsouth.net had this information tucked away in a corner of
their site:

Mail Filters for Netscape Navigator 2 and 3

Navigator 2 and 3 for Windows supports a simple but undocumented routing
system for filtering incoming mail. To make a mail filter for Navigator
2 or 3, first create a sort.dat file in your Netscape Mail directory.
You can create this file with WordPad. In this file, you'll need to
include three pieces of data: a folder name, mail header, and filter
string, which will define the filter. The sort.dat file format will look
like this:

Folder Name<TAB>Mail Header<TAB>Filter String

The <TAB> represents a hard tab character, [Ctrl]Tab. The Folder Name is
the name of a folder in your Mail directory, which Navigator will
automatically create. The Mail Header is the name of a valid mail
header, for example, Subject, To, From, and Cc.... You can access a list
of mail headers by highlighting an E-mail message, going to the Options
menu, and selecting Show Headers/All. The Filter String is the
information you'll filter by, such as someone's name in the From mail
header field.

There are a couple of additional points you'll need to know. First,
these filters are case sensitive, so pay close attention to how you type
the mail header and filter string. You can include as many mail filters
as you like. In addition, Navigator may try to place the new folder in a
directory other than its Mail directory. If this happens, you'll need to
provide an absolute path name for the mail filter by including the
characters ../Mail/ before the folder name. The sort.dat file can
include as many mail filters as you like.

>From  ZDTips: Inside Netscape Navigator

Note: It would have been less confusing to me if they had said the <TAB>
symbol represents a space created by using the tab key.  Once I figured
that out, it works great.

Example from my sort.dat file:

PIANOTEC	Reply-To	pianotech

You could have something like this:

COLEMAN	From	Jim Coleman, Sr.
HARVEY	From	harvey@greenwood.net
TRASH	From	[your choice  :) ]

Hope this will help some of you Netscape users.

Rodney Pritchett
Marietta, GA