Mysterious after ring

Thomas D. Seay t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 10:53:38 -0600

>> > List,
>> >         The piano Chickering console, aprox 44" 1930's. Nice piano,
>>well cared for
>> > and has been used at least twice. Hasn't had a damper problem until
>>recently.
>> > Now all of a sudden the Dampers will not seat on the strings, in spite of
>> > having exceptionally good springs, adequate lost motion in the pedal rods,
>> > adequate lost motion in the whip/capstan, adequate lost motion with
>>the damper
>> > spoon, etc. With the pedal rods out, and the action frame snagged tight, I
>> > still get after ring. It's annoying, so it must be repaired/regulated.
>> >         Before I go tearing it apart and resetting the damper action
>>are there any
>> > words of wisdom concerning such matters?
>> > Patrick Wethington

Patrick,

I vaguely remember a similar problem which happened to me years ago. It
seems that the damper rail itself had come completely unglued from the main
action rail, resulting in the dampers being held up off the strings. After
removing the action, locating, doweling and gluing the damper rail back
onto the main action rail, the piano was back to normal and has been
working just fine ever since.

Just something else to check.

Good luck.

Tom