Soundboards

AndyTTaylr@AOL.COM AndyTTaylr@AOL.COM
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 12:05:27 EST

Hi

A potential customer of mine has a very sentimental Holmes & Son player  with
water damage.The Water was about a foot over the bottom and It has really
warped the soundboard, and loose glue joints everywhere.

I told him that he was looking at mucho bucks to rebuild the piano, but he
insists that money is no object, the piano was his Grandmothers ect.

I can tear it down and reglue the frame, and am capable of  all repairs except
one, and that is making and installing a new soundboard. Even though I think
it will cost far more than the old upright player is worth, The customer is
hell bent on rebuilding this old player. I rebuild players, but first the
piano needs to be fixed. before anything else is done.

So, if this guy has deep pockets, so be it. But, doesn't soundboard
replacement  take special  skill and equiptment? I thought about just removing
the damaged area and replacing it, (leaving the ribs) But it's possible that
the board no longer has any crown since the ribs has been wet. I am out of my
league here!

So it there a soundboard person in the house?
Andy Taylor