attachments, viruses, email, and lists

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@NAU.EDU
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 10:36:05 -0700

Andrew M. Rudoff wrote:

> Pianotech subscribers,
>
> There's an unusual program floating around that, if run on your machine,
> changes your machine to add the program as an attachment to your outgoing
> messages.  Someone on our list has been infected with this virus and has
> posted a message to pianotech containing an attachment called "Happy99.exe".
>
> If you received this program, don't run it.

I received this program and did infact run it.  The *only* reason I did so was
because it came from an individual on this list and thus I assumed it to be a
friendly jestur of sorts.

At any rate, I ran a test by mailing to myself and the attachment did not show
up.  My guess is that it apparently does not always work.  If it shows up again
(with this message or in the future), please let me know.  OBVIOUSLY IF IT DOES
YOU DON"T WANT TO RUN IT!!  just let me know if it shows up.

Thanks,

Rob Goodale, RPT