attachments, viruses, email, and lists

Pengelly Pensione pengelly@uniserve.com
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 10:21:45 -0800

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for this.  We had in fact been infected! I went to the site you
posted and have some questions.  I hope you don't mind me asking.

"If the worm is detected in your system you can easy get rid of it just by
deleting SKA.EXE and SKA.DLL files in the system Windows directory."
Did this!

"You also should delete the WSOCK32.DLL file and replace it with WSOCK32.SKA
original file."
I found 2 WSOCK32.DLL files.  One in the directory C\windows\system where I
also found the SKA files mentioned and the other in C\winisto.400.
WSOCK32.SKA was in c\window\system.  I have set both of the DLL files to
read only.  WIN98 will not allow me to delete the .DLL from window\system
because it says it is using it.  It would allow me to delete the other but
I'm not sure I should.  Can you tell me what to do!?

"The original HAPPY99.EXE file should be also located and deleted."
LIve and learn.  I had saved it to a floppy and opened it from there
thinking that would protect me from viruses.

"The special AVP update (HAPPY.AVC database) allows to stop worm spreading
and protect your computer from attach. It is distributed for free and is
available on the AVP Web sites on the world.

Many thanks
John-the-Tuner's Wife
Helen