George Winston

Mmeade1pno@AOL.COM Mmeade1pno@AOL.COM
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 20:29:03 EST

      I tuned an old Steinway "D" for George about four months ago. He leaves
a specific chart for electronic tuners, but I tuned aurally with emphasis on a
bright, clean sounding tuning. I believe he also cares about clean bright
voicing, as I listened to his performance and musical style, which is a "New-
Age Folk" style. The piano I prepared for him does not have good sustain, in
fact, is a bit punchy, but he was very happy with the type of sound.

      He asks for a strange rehearsal schedule, all at night! Also, his ear
for out of tune unisons is most sensitive in the mid-treble. If time is short,
clean these up, even at the expense of octaves and the outer ranges, and he'll
probably be happy.