Conference topic

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 19:11:26 EST

In a message dated 2/12/99 3:17:50 PM Pacific Standard Time, sanorth@AOL.COM
writes:

<< To Wally and all others who have dealt with  divorce in the piano tech
 business.  I am a single female studying piano technology and about to begin
 business or work in another shop.  I thought it would be great to marry into
 this as well.    Would that be a good idea or not?   It seems to me the
 balance of abilities and understanding the pressures would be a good match.
 Maybe it would be too much of a good thing.

Too much of being in common can be damaging.  Musicians for example have a
high divorce rate because of the criticism of each other.  A balance would be
much better.  What you are not good at, your spouse may be.  What your spouse
lacks, you may be able to help.  My wife helps me, schedules many of my
appointments, and helps me in the shop.  She is not industrious, and will
never be good a piano technology.  But by helping in the shop, key bushings,
tear down, etc, she appreciates what I go though in being a piano technician.
This is not always the case but more common than not.

Dave Peake, RPT
Oregon City, OR
Portland Chapter