Breaking Bass String

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 17:13:21 -0500

It is very likely that the tension is too high.  If this is the case
the splice would not hold either.  If this is not the case a little
lubricant, even a tiny bit of oil, at the agraffe pin will help the
string slid without binding.  If you cannot see a burr then there is
not one.

Check that the pin is not bent over too far to create and pinch
effect.  Follow the example of the other pins.

In the case of not having enough core to splice you can peel back 1/3
the length of the swage (flattening of the string) to provide enough
to splice.  You need less than a half inch to do a splice if you make
loops just large enough for the core wire to move through.  If you
bend the loop so it is perpendicular to the core it will slide
together easily.

When installing a 'universal' string you must match the core wire
first then the wrap diameter.  The core wire controls the
inharmonicity and the wrap controls the tension.  They are somewhat
linked together but not as much as some may think.

If you send me the speaking length and the core and wrap diameters of
the old string I will tell you if the tension is too high.

		Newton