Drill Press

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 23:03:05 -0600 (CST)

At 06:33 PM 2/16/99 -0700, you wrote:
>David ilvedson wrote:
>>
>> I am in the market for a drill press.  I have a bench
>> model/Delta that doesn't have the throat depth for hammer boring
>> with Wally's jig and a cross-vice.  Would Delta be the way to go
>> in a floor model?
>>
>David,
>
>I have a Delta table model type (32" Radial drill press, Model 11-090),
>which has a movable horizontal column so that you can adjust the throat
>depth (up to 16"). I got rid of my floor model because it was such an
>awkward thing to wrestle with (neighboring tools tending to be in the
>way in my tiny shop). My plan is to build a mobile base, like my table
>saw's...
>
>But I digress. The main reason I bought it was because of the throat
>depth. I can now drill a pin block without turning the plank around part
>way through the job.
>
>Tom
>--
>Thomas A. Cole, RPT
>Santa Cruz, CA
>mailto:tcole@cruzio.com

I use the same thing. It gives up in rigidity what it gains in versatility.
I originally bought mine for throat depth (and because it was on sale for
$125.00), but have since been even happier with the fact that the entire
head assembly will lift off the post. I made a small platform with an
adjustable angle post to set this head assembly on and set the whole thing
an old double wide pinblock, laid across the top of a piano. I connected an
air hose coupling and valve to a hole through the center of the platform. I
drill pin blocks in the piano with this setup, floating the whole mess from
hole to hole on a ground effect platform, shutting off the air for stability
while drilling the hole. I couldn't do this with any other kind of drill
press that I've seen. For general purpose use, I recommend it.

 Ron