help!I've gotta tune a..

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:36:30 -0700 (MST)

Hi Patrick:

If the M&H is very old, there could be a problem with the strings hanging
up on the felt in the counter bearing area between the tuning pins and the
Agraffes in the center section. You can avoid string breakage, if this is
the case, by momentarily dipping the string pitch just slightly to break
any corrosion that may be there. If you hear a little "chink" when you
drop the pitch (approx. 1 beat) this would indicate a little risk of string
breakage. With the greater change of elevation from the Agraffe to the
tuning pin panel, there is more pressure on the counter bearing area. Any
corrosion just accentuates the resistance to string movement. With no
corrosion, this is a good feature, for it increases stability of tuning.

Otherwise, there should be no problems tuning this fine piano. Some people
have said that this is the finest piano ever designed.

Jim Coleman, Sr.