Coleman vs Coleman Tuneoff

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 23:05:53 -0600 (CST)

>My question to this group is: Do you feel that our temperament standards
>are a little too high? I would like some feedback. I am not promoting
>Historical or hysterical tunings. In all of the classes where I have done
>this type of test, it was conceded that both tunings were good tunings.
>
>Have I opened a "can or worms" or what?
>
>Jim Coleman, Sr.

Careful Jim, reality is a very dangerous thing to dabble in. In all
likelihood, if I weren't one of the "grandfathered in" that Gina mentioned,
I very possibly would not have thrown myself on the "tuning test" sword more
than once, well, maybe twice, before either passing, or giving it up. The
point is that when the "minimal standards" are set at the edge of where a
PTG certified tech feels he/she can comfortably function on a day to day
basis, in a variety of situations, with less than wonderful instruments,
maybe it's time to re-think the motivations for setting the standards where
the were in the first place. I'm all for competence in the tech, and
reasonable minimal allowable standards, but I agree that it should be scaled
to the hardware we work with, and realistic expectation of result rather
than the egos of those that establish the standards. On the other hand,
realistic expectation should be kept as high as is possible under any given
set of circumstances. It seems to me that the only way to accurately judge
realistic, rather than ideal standards is to follow all the "successful" and
"respected" tuners in the PTG (another judgement call) for a week and record
all the tunings they do in the field, against "master tunings" of all the
pianos they tuned in that week and compute a "mean tuning" score to
determine what actually passes for good work out there in the world. I would
bet that the observed quality of work would range from incontestably great
to something you wouldn't particularly want anyone to know about. This can't
be practically done, of course, which is very probably how the temperament
scoring section got this way in the first place.

In some of the "Guild" systems in effect in other professions today, the
"masters" can (and do) withhold "master" status from an "apprentice" until
the "apprentice" produces something so amazing that the incumbent "masters"
are too embarrassed to reject it. Granted, tuning is more easily
quantifiable then a carving of an Alabaster Winged Snigwidget in full cry,
but standards must be set in either case.

In short (yea, right!) I agree with your ideas, and reasoning. Otherwise,
please pardon the ramblings.

 Ron