Coleman vs Coleman Tuneoff

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 00:20:57 EST

In a message dated 2/16/99 3:59:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu writes:

<<
 My question to this group is: Do you feel that our temperament standards
 are a little too high? I would like some feedback. I am not promoting
 Historical or hysterical tunings. In all of the classes where I have done
 this type of test, it was conceded that both tunings were good tunings.

 Have I opened a "can or worms" or what?

 Jim Coleman, Sr.

I am not convinced Jim, that by lowering the standards will increase the
percentages of passing the exam.  If we compromise too much, then how far to
we compomise musically?  If I am not mistaken, the ET was created to allow all
music compositions to be played in any key without having to retune the piano
each time. The general audience will not care or know how good the temperament
will be.  They care about good sounding music.  It is up to us to help keep it
that way.

As far as comparing an FAC to a aural tuning, my experience is that the FAC on
a good quality piano is very close to how I like my tunings aurally.  Many of
my good musician clients cannot tell even when they prefer I tune aurally.

I am not sure that loosening up the exams will increase passing.  Most
examinees I test that fail, I know can tune better, but they have exam
jitters.  Sometimes I think they need to tighten even more because I have seem
many pass at 80% and yet in general I did not think it was a very good tuning.
Now I am really opening up a can of worms!

Dave Peake, RPT
Oregon City, OR
Portland Chapter