Learning regulation (renamed)

Richard Wagner rjwag@pacifier.com
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 08:19:36 -0800

>Is there a harmless place to start that can only help the piano
>without starting a chain of events that can't be stopped?  Suggestions?
>
>Clyde Hollinger

Hi Clyde,

I well remember feeling as you do, when about 16 or 17 years ago, grand
regulation mystifyed and frightened me.  I didn't want to take the chance
of ruining a client's piano while *practicing* either.

Fortunately, I was able to get connected with a local dealer in used pianos
who was only too happy to let me learn (on my own time) while I tried to
improve some of his less than desirable trade-ins.

Although, during that period I couldn't honestly charge him my full labor
rate for *all* the time it took me to get through the regulations and make
my mistakes, the sheer number of pianos to go through and learn from were
like working in a
grand-piano hospital's emergency room.  The learning came fast as I saw
nearly every problem imaginable.

I also had the good fortune to be around some really fine technicians who
helped me over the rough spots.

So if you know a dealer who might fit the bill, my suggestion is that you
give him or her a call.

	Richard Wagner RPT