Transformer Heat

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@NAU.EDU
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:29:21 -0700

I would be interested in hearing some opinions about the heat output of
a PianoDisc power supply transformer.  For those not familiar, the unit
is hung below the inside rim under the piano, (grands).  Even when the
unit is not in operation it puts out measurable heat.  It is also only
inches away from the soundboard.  It obviously gets even hotter when in
use, and contains a small cooling fan that comes on automatically in
extreme circumstances.  the fan is on top and blows directly onto the
soundboard.

I installed such a unit in a Yamaha C-3 about 10 months ago.  Everything
works perfectly but I can't help but wonder what the long term effects
might be with this continuous heat source directed on the board like
that, especially in one specific place.

Thanks,

Rob Goodale, RPT