Coleman vs Coleman Tuneoff

Jeannie Grassi jgrassi@silverlink.net
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:17:15 -0800

Dear Jim,
While I don't want to encourage more PTG discussions on this
"technical" list, I do have a few questions about your polling.

Of the class members who responded that the temperament test standards
were too high, how many were RPTs?  If you know what percentage were
RPTs, do you know how many of them were recent examinees or perhaps
another way of asking, how long ago did they take their exams?  These
particulars may change the way we look at the responses you have been
getting.

Being a former public school teacher, I am rarely in favor of lowering
standards.  There is nothing wrong with studying harder and longer to
achieve a higher goal.

Thanks so much, Jim, for your continued enlightening demonstrations in
this area.

Jeannie Grassi, RPT
mailto:jgrassi@silverlink.net
Bainbridge Island, WA

snip
> I asked for a show of hands in the advanced tuning class for
> those who think
> we have elevated our temperament standards too high. The
> voting was almost
> unanimous. I mentioned that I had talked to some very well
> respected tuners
> who also agreed with me that we are guilding the lily. I do
> believe that
> we should keep the 1 cent tolerance for scoring the points in
> the mid-range
> and temperament section, but that we should relax the conversion
> multipliers. I further believe that we should add some
> questions in our
> written test to include various test intervals to be used in making
> decisions as to whether an interval is too wide or too
> narrow. With this
> covered in the written test, we can save time during the
> tuning test scoring
> by eliminating much of the hesitancy on the part of the examinee in
> aurally verifying his penalty points. I do still believe that Equal
> Temperament should be our testing standard, but that we have just
> made it more difficult for associate members to upgrade because of
our
> arbitrarily tightened standards.

snip