Learning regulation (renamed)

Terry Beckingham Terry_Beckingham@mbnet.mb.ca
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:45:36 -0600 (CST)

At 11:23 AM 2/17/99 -0600, you wrote:

>Bingo!
>
>Purchasing pianos for learning, practicing, improving and/or maintaining
>one's skills, and then reselling them at a later date, is an age old method
>of doing business.  It's going on all the time.
>
>Keith McGavern

Bingo? Well maybe or maybe not. I have purchased or been given a total of 5
pianos. I have rebuilt 3 of them and I am working on number 4. I have not
been able to sell any of them. It seems that in this neck of the woods,
people only want to spend around $500 to buy a piano. They will spend that
amount on some old clunker that is in need or major repairs, but are
unwilling to spend more on a rebuilt or reconditioned piano.

I am frequently phoned for advice on pianos that people wish to purchase. No
one wants me to come and assess the piano which they want to purchase. In
the past I have been advising them of possible problems with these old
pianos. In some cases, the caller becomes irate when I suggest that there
could be anything wrong at all. They usually end up buying the piano, moving
it into their homes and that is the end of it. Most of them don't even want
it tuned.

Go figure!

Terry Beckingham
Associate Member PTG