Transformer Heat

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 07:44:23 -0600 (CST)

At 12:57 AM 2/18/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Robert Goodale wrote:
>>
>> I would be interested in hearing some opinions about the heat output of
>> a PianoDisc power supply transformer.
>>
>> Rob Goodale, RPT
>
>I have the same concerns.  I have considered adding some kind of heat
>sink or insulating material between the fan and the soundboard as a
>precautionary step.  Surely PianoDisc has considered this potential
>problem.  We will know for sure in 4 or 5 years.
>Bill Kidd

Back when the Earth was young, the old Maranz PianoCorder system had a power
supply that was a first class space heater. I've seen those things kill
pianos outright in a year. The current (sorry) PianoDisc power supply seems
to have a much lower BTU output rating, and I haven't seen a big problem
with them, but I can't help but think that a localized heat source like this
isn't good for a soundboard. I'd like to see a fan that blows down, and out,
and runs continuously. Just my under informed opinion.

 Ron