Transformer Heat

John Dewey jdent@soltec.net
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 08:36:00 -0600

Last summer I made a service call on a Samick 172 grand piano with a model
32 Piano Disc system. The problem was they had bent the slider on one disk
and worn out a couple of other disks. This system has always had a problem
being too loud so the original installer covered the bottom of the case with
masonite. There is almost no air circulation in the area of the transformer
and sustain solenoid and there is a fan on the sustain solenoid. This piano
was in the dealers show room for a couple of years and went out as a rental
several times. It was sold to a large group clinic for there reception area
about 5 years ago. This is a 3 story open lobby. The piano plays a lot. They
keep the lid closed and locked. I did not see any sound board problems.

An interesting side note. The original plans called for the piano to be
suspended by cables at about a 30 degree tilt so that the key bed was at eye
level of the second floor balcony. How many tuners carry their own
scaffolding? The dealer convinced them the piano belonged on the floor.

John Dewey