Plate Finishing

Fri, 19 Feb 1999 07:14:55 -0500

Hi Arthur -

If you have a spray equipment I recommend using Steinway's bronze powder
suspended in lacquer.  You just stir in enough powder in your gun cup to
give the lacquer good color and spray away, making sure to keep swirling
the cup as you go to keep a good suspension.  You may choose any sheen of
lacquer you like, of course, but I would not recommend going to a sheen
higher than semi-gloss.  Lately, because of proximity, I've been using
Sherwin Williams 24% Solids Finishing Lacquer, Medium-Rubbed Effect
#T75F42 with very good results.  Should you encounter any "fish-eyes"
because of contaminants, spray on a coat of fresh shellac, then proceed
with the lacquer after it dries for a couple hours.  A nice effect is to
finish with one coat of CLEAR lacquer after you have the bronze color
where you want it.  Gives a very nice depth.  Don't mix up alot more
color than you think you'll need, it is only usable for a day or so
before the mixture begins to go greenish-blue!

Hope this helps.  If you have to use spray CANS, I haven't found them to
be of a very high quality in either performance, consistency, or
durability.  Only use as a last resort.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com