tuning exam what it *is* and what it *is not*

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 10:14:51 EST

In a message dated 2/19/99 7:04:00 AM, Phil wrote:
(re: JC Sr.)
<<you have been preaching this to me for 2 years now..I believe you have said:
"the
most important tuning you will ever do is unison tuning"..>>

Phil, I will second Jims opinion here. In the greater scheme of things it is
the unisions which most determine the acceptability of a particular tuning and
not the temperament used.  Ample evidence is provided by the discussion of Et
vs Historical vs whatever temperament. Where each of these is acceptable, in
most circumstances, 'out of unision unisions are not'.  There are exceptions
to this rule of thumb, such as prepared music or the person who is so used to
hearing their piano 'out of tune' that hearing it 'in tune' is not acceptable
to them.

  If one had thirty minutes to "tune" a piano one should set the temperament
and run out the scale in ten minutes and spend the last twenty minutes
solidifying unisions.  One hundred percent of the audience will hear the
unisions, 94% will hear only unisions, 5% will hear stray temperament/octave
anamolies, and 1% percent will be tone deaf anyway :-)

As General McArthur said at his last West Point address:
"As they lay this old tuner in the unforgiving ground my last thoughts shall
be...
unisions, unisions, unisions"

Just my take.
Jim Bryant (FL)