Wonderwand

Charles E Faulk cfaulk2@juno.com
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:33:57 -0600

About two years ago I started making my own tuning hammers just for fun.
It fit rather nicely with my woodturning fetish. Well the long and the
short of it is I've made about nine hammers since then gradually refining
the length and shape to my liking. Since I have no ambitions to patent my
design I would rather share some dimensions with all of you.

I start with a 10 1/2 " length of stainless steel rod (1/2" diam.) which
is turned down to 3/8" on one end and threaded to fit Schaff tuning heads
(27threads per inch). The threaded tip has a tapered end so that the head
will fit tightly.

My handles are turned out of exotic woods like cocobolo, ebony, bocote,
and most recently rosewood. I like to start with a turning square 12" x 1
7/8" x 1 7/8". Then I bore a 1/2" hole using a extra long brad point bit
through the core of the square, usually about  7 1/2"; this is best done
with a good horizontal drill press. I'll plug the bored end with a short
piece of 1/2" dowel, and fit my  lathe drive center to this end.

The best design I've come up with so far is a kind of double-ball handle
with about  4 1/2" of the steel rod extending from the handle. The end
ball looks like a slightly flattened tennis ball, not fully round; that
shape fits my hand better. The second and smaller ball is located about
half-way on the wood handle. It serves as a secondary handle if I choose
to "clutch-up" for any reason. Holding the hammer in this secondary
position, I can almost use the tool like an impact hammer. The entire
hammer is 13 1/2" long; this may be rather long for most tuners, but it
works well for me.

Just some thoughts.

Regard,

Charles Faulk, RPT
Manhattan, KS
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]