S&S capo

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:43:53 -0500

dear list,

we have a nice new S&S D here at the university that has a small problem
that i am not sure how to address.  at the point in the treble where the
capo begins i am getting a lot of noise from the non-speking length between
the capo and the v-bar.  it's not "a lot" of noise but more than i like.  i
have checked all the usual suspects; string level, hammer fit, bridge pins,
strings seated, etc.  what i notice is that there is a ton of energy
comming over the capo and into this length.  if i put my finger on that
non-speaking length and play the note, the tone is dead.  i tried this on
other pianos and i don't notice the same effect.  on a hard blow i am
getting a sizzle from this section as if the string level was bad.  what's
the deal?  should the non-speaking length be getting this much vibration
through the capo?  why does muting that length deaden the tone so much more
than other, similar pianos?  am i missing the obvious?

thanks for your help,
chris

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (614) 593-1656    fax# (614) 593-1429