dogs stuck in pianos

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 12:14:06 -0800

Don't know if the dog story is true...it does sound, well, fishy.  But how's this for strange...A 6' good quality grand with lots and lots of rat droppings, certainly not unusual in some areas, but there was a curious rustling sound in the treble section when one played the keys.  Upon removal of the action, I found a small lunchbox size bag of Doritos.  Cool Ranch flavor, if memory serves.  Apparently the rats had the foresight to store away a little something for the winter, or a long slow movement in a Schubert sonata.  Then there was the the nearly new Yamaha U1 with a nasty soundboard buzz that turned out to be a dessicated chicken drumstick wedged between a rib and a backpost.  Oh, and a dead baby kitten in a grand, causing odd buzzes in the bass, and one assumes, a pungent odor...but no dogs.
Of course, there is always the classic weed 'stash'.  I am sure we have all encountered one of those.  Some days are better than others.
Steve

>>> <Mjcsp@AOL.COM> 02/18 8:13 PM >>>
      In an email today rockymtn@sprynet.com mentioned dogs stuck in pianos.

       I'm a graduate student in a writing program and am working on a book
about learning to play the piano.  I've been interviewing and trailing after a
local piano tuner  for several weeks to add some depth to the book but am
curious:  what is the strangest thing you've ever found in a piano?  Is the
dog story true?

       If this topic is inappropriate for the list, would you email me at
mjcsp@aol.com?

    Thanks.

Mary Cartledge-Hayes, Spartanburg, SC