dogs stuck in pianos

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 20:02:15 +0000

Well I guess I'll relate a story too...many moons ago I
worked for a piano rental organization.  I would assist a piano
mover in moving a Steinway grand into a location and then I
would tune the instrument for the event.  In the very exclusive
town of Hillsborough in San Mateo County, CA we delivered a
piano for a lady who was having a party.  We were to move her
baby grand out and our concert instrument in.  We tipped her
piano over onto the moving board and clinkity, clink, clink out
falls a diamond ring...I call her in and give her the ring and
she stares at with these sad eyes.  She said she had lost a good
friend over that ring...she had accused her friend of stealing
it.  All these years it had lay hidden in the action...obviously
she didn't have it serviced on a regular basis!

David Ilvedson

> Date:          Fri, 19 Feb 1999 12:14:06 -0800
> From:          "Steve Pearson" <SPearson@yamaha.com>
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject:       Re: dogs stuck in pianos

> Don't know if the dog story is true...it does sound, well, fishy.  But how's this for strange...A 6' good quality grand with lots and lots of rat droppings, certainly not unusual in some areas, but t> Steve

>       In an email today rockymtn@sprynet.com mentioned dogs stuck in pianos.
>
>        I'm a graduate student in a writing program and am working on a book
> about learning to play the piano.  I've been interviewing and trailing after a
> local piano tuner  for several weeks to add some depth to the book but am
> curious:  what is the strangest thing you've ever found in a piano?  Is the
> dog story true?
>
>        If this topic is inappropriate for the list, would you email me at
> mjcsp@aol.com?
>
>     Thanks.
>
> Mary Cartledge-Hayes, Spartanburg, SC

David Ilvedson, RPT