Wonderwand

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 18:23:17 -0700

Charles, I am just curious.  Have you ever tried turning Mexican
Ironwood?  That stuff, I would think, would make a great tuning lever as
it is very dense and strong (sinks in water).  I have a piece here that I
have been saving to make a lever with, but have never done so as I only
have a small piece - roughly 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 15 inches.  It is certainly
well aged as I acquired the wood in 1969.  The only thing that I know for
sure about it is that it is really tough on steel tools.  I have seen my
piece take the edge off HS steel jointer blades in about 2 seconds ( OUCH
! ).  The "natives" where it grows use tools made of stone to work it.  I
suppose that carbide would hold up to it, but you know the price of
carbide turning tools.  If you have any thoughts about this, please
respond.

John R. Fortiner
pianoserv440@juno.com
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]