Valuables found in pianos.

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 03:54:47 EST

As for things found in pianos, I have to mention some finds.

In the late 50's or early 60's, in Buffalo, New York, a fellow bought a piano
from the Goodwill store for a hundred dollars and found a chinese carved jade
figurine, weighing two or three pounds, and dating to the Ming dynasty. He was
real excited, told everyone, told the newspapers, etc, - and Goodwill sued him
for the return of the figurine. They reasoned that he only bought the piano,
any non-piano things inside were rightfully still theirs. They won, and he had
to give the carving, valued at $25,000,  back.

I remember hearing that a Stradivarius violin was once found in the bottom of
a big old upright, by the new owner who bought it at a Goodwill type store. I
don't say this is true, it might be an urban legend. HOWEVER,- I understand
that about half of the violins that Mr. Stradivarius made are still in
existence, which would be around 300 of the 600 he made. ( Please correct
these numbers if you know what they should be.) These instruments are well
followed, each with an exacting history. I don't think it would be too hard to
check if one was actually found in a piano. Just get in touch with a "violin
nut" organization or newsgroup. They would almost certainly know.  If you find
a definitive answer to this inquiry, please let me know.

I do know of a new Aeolian player ( 15 years ago ) that was not working  at
all, and one of their servicemen went out to fix it. He pulled the main air
hose from the nipple on the pump and from it removed a big wad of bills
wrapped with a rubber band. He didn't count it though, just handed it to the
woman of the house who was standing there watching him work. The money was her
husband's mad money. On the bright side, the piano now worked fine.

I have found money in pianos lots of times, anywhere from a penny to about 30
cents. For what it is worth, I always give everything I find, to the last
bobby pin, back to the owner.

Bill Simon
Phoenix